(860) 223-0726 x7771
“CRILA was the best opportunity I have had thus far in my life. It has made me realize that I want and need to take advantage of every opportunity I get even if I don't think I will be selected. You may surprise yourself.”
- CRILA 8 Student
Center for Creative Youth
Soundbridge Early Learning Center
Welcome to CRILA
The application period for 2017-2018 is now open. The deadline for applications is March 17, 2016.
Application materials must be mailed to Karen Mooney, CREC-CRILA Program Manager, 111 Charter Oak Avenue, Hartford, CT 06106 or via email to email@example.com
Funding for this program is partially provided by a grant from the State Department of Education and is currently pending.
The Capitol Region Interdistrict Leadership Academy (CRILA) is a program created and operated by the Capitol Region Education Council (CREC) through an interdistrict grant from the Connecticut State Department of Education. CRILA's mission is: To provide a diverse forum whereby students will practice ethical and collaborative leadership through research and community services.
Students from schools in the central Connecticut region that are in their sophomore or junior year are eligible to apply to participate. Each year 30 students are selected for their ability to lead, strong academic standing, ability to work with others, and interest in and commitment to community service. CRILA is free for students and school districts.
Participating students have the unique opportunity to:
- Attend a seven day all expenses paid Outward Bound experience in Colorado during late June/early July.
- Develop and participate in a dynamic and collaborative community service project that will benefit the Hartford region.
- Meet and learn from a variety of leaders from many different industries.
- Engage in a challenging leadership curriculum designed to teach the attributes of an ethical leader and the skills to be an agent for social change.
- Earn high school credit and build leadership skills in preparation for college.